I really hate having my period.
Not just the not being pregnant reminder, but the entire proces of menstruation. I have been suffering through this monthly process for nearly twenty-five years now (yes, menarche when I was nine- such fun). It's more than just the physical symptoms- cramps, bloating, nausea- which I could certainly do without. It defines my mood and my wardrobe and not usually for the better.
I am sure there exists feminist literature that would disclaim my loathing of menstruation and claim it is some subversion by the patriarchy, but, seriously, it just flatly disgusts me.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Agreed. It sucks. The only time I'm happy to have it is when it comes on its own in a reasonable time frame. Then I'm just happy I'm semi functioning. sigh.
Agreed. Yuck.
And nine years old? You poor thing. That is just too many years.
And I thought 11 was bad. Not only was I 11 the first time, it was the morning before my mom was taking me to Valley Fair before back to school time. I was curled in a ball on the living room floor with cramps - no doubt cursing the fact that the water rides were out of the question at that point because, well, what 11 year old uses tampons? None I know of anyway...
I hate that bitch Flo too! Yuck!
Oooh, I feel for you. My flow and cramps vary a lot from month-to-month, so my degree of hatred depends on the month. I have to say, when I *know* I'm not pregnant at 15 or 16DPO, I kinda like getting my period because it means that I'm *finally* starting a new cycle!
I was 11 (3 weeks before my 12th birthday) when I started my period. Even that was too young, as my elementary school (6th grade) didn't have anywhere to dispose of pads, etc etc. :/
Hey, mine started when I was 9 also! Jinx, buy me a coke. I can completely relate to your post today: I hate every single thing about my period. I was close to going back on the pill late last year just to get rid of it, until we decided to take one last stab at parenthood. Hang in there!
9 years old, that is so unfair! I hate everything about it too. The only good thing is it sometimes lets me be justifiably cranky if I want to be. A crankiness that only a bowl of ice cream can help with!
Hear ya loud and clear--and you poor thing--9?! I was 11, and have hated it ever since!
Here via Mel...
I couldn't agree with you more. I HATE my period. (Even before IF I hated it.) Just... ew.
I despise my period. Not just the fact that it means I am not pregnant (again), but the messy horror that is my monthly visitor. She stays too long, is way too heavy, and I always feel awkward and horrible like I did when I was 13 and she made her first appearance. Yuck.
Right there with you. Hate it, hate it, hate it. And its getting worse with age, not better. I remember in college when it was just an inconvenience. And then later when all I had to do to relieve the cramps was take an advil.
One of the many things in life that was supposed to get better with age, this has gotten worse. Not quite as disappointing as never growing out of acne, but close.
And how is it fair that now, when I'm trying to get preggers, they come up with a pill where you only have four periods a year? It's just not right.
I agree, it's gross and icky. I hate it too and was always amazed at a friend who said she liked it. I've always figured that once I knew I was done having children (if I ever manage to have any) I'd like to never have a period again. And lately they've become flat out mocking.
Yeah, it's uncomfortable, inconvenient, and icky. And lately, it has liked to come an hour or so after my negative HPT. It's just not right.
Post a Comment