I donated blood yesterday. My husband has always been very good about going even long before we met, so he usually guilts me into going. I know it's the right thing to do, I just hate having to take the time out of my day. My blood type is the least common so I am usually a hot commodity and the blood donation center calls me regularly. I had taken some time off of donating while cycling because I didn't want to have to explain the fertility medications.
Anyhow, while sitting in the chair waiting for the phlebomist to get going (why do I always get the one who feels the need to help everyone but the person to whom she is assigned?) I got to thinking about my "donor" status. I understand how important and life-saving blood can be, but what about my eggs? I would actually be more than willing to go through a donor egg cycle but am not eligible because of my quickly-approaching thirty-fourth birthday. For that matter, given my cystic fibrosis carrier status and weight history, I don't think I would be the donor anyone was dying to have. It's just that I would like my donation to matter to someone whose struggle I can understand, unlike the woman in the poster on the wall who needed 12 pints of blood during labor.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I know what you mean. I would be glad to donate eggs to someone in need too but they'd probably want mine less than yours.
The eggs from a 36 yr old woman with elevated FSH who couldn't even produce enough for the minimum # of eggs desired for an IVF retrieval... ?
Doubt it.
Good for you for donating blood. I just can't do it. I can barely make it through all the blood draws needed for cycling. I know, I'm a wimp in that respect.
I hear you. I have been thinking about that of late. My doctor says my eggs (the mature ones, anyway) are good, so I think about perhaps giving back in that way. But I don't think I could do it until we have a baby. That's probably selfish, but it's how I feel.
You are an amazingly UNSELFISH person. I admire you.
Damn.
I missed that cut off?
35 and A HALF.
If I were to need an egg donor I would hope that she were just as thoughtful as you!
Post a Comment