Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pouting

I know it's petty, but my feelings are hurt. It seems that despite my hopes to the contrary, my coworkers are going to combine mine and coworker's shower in November because the woman who usually organizes sent out an email asking if we would both be on a specific day. I will be having my baby a full two months before hers and really feel resentful that I have to "share."

We have had two baby showers in the last year or so- one for the baby of a coworker who conceived after we started trying and one for the coworker who was successful her first month of trying. I have had to sit through both of those showers and make nice despite our infertility struggle. And now it is supposed to be "my turn" and I have to share with a woman who was successful (at 40) in getting pregnant after less than six months. A woman whose pregnancy has similarly been a breeze instead of filled with worry, a surgery, and gestational diabetes. I would rather they just not have one at all.

And to top it off, its not as if I will be able to eat anything at this shower, not even cake. And she will.

So, yes, I sound like a spoiled toddler, but it's not fair.

9 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I can understand how you'd feel this way.

The lack of ability to have cake is what REALLy bites, though.

Me said...

Sorry luv.

AwkwardMoments said...

ah, it's just not fair!

HereWeGoAJen said...

That isn't fair! I am hurt for you.

Fiddle1 said...

I TOTALLY understand, and I'm so sorry. I wish they had the intuition to know this is just not something that you do. You don't combine showers! I give that hostess the bad hostess award. And I am so sorry about the cake. Couldn't you let them know that you need a low sugar cake?? Maybe one made with splenda? Or you may not want them to know about the GD. Yours is the biggest miracle pregnancy I know of, and they should have sense to know that with the difficulties you have had, the surgery,everything..if ever there was a mother that needed to be showered with love and support, it is you, by gosh! It is just rotten. You do NOT sound like a spoiled toddler. I know it doesn't help, but we all will never forget what you have gone through to have this wonderful dream.

Rachel said...

Oh, not being able to eat cake is so miserable. Today my doctor was promising that I could 'eat whatever I want come January' ... but somehow I doubt she had in mind the same type of meals I'm planning: cupcakes with ice cream and vodka, chocolate cake with icing and pudding - I have now sat through 2 weddings and 4 major holidays without touching dessert - that's a lot of catching up to do.

Geohde said...

I'm sorry that you've got to share something you were probably really looking forward to WITH CAKE, no less.

xx

J

sarah said...

I can TOTALLY relate! I finally got pregnant after 2 years of trying and my sister (who wasn't even trying) just happened to get pregnant at the exact same time! She's due 2 days earlier than I am. I've had to share this entire experience with her, and sometimes I just get angry! Hang in there...

Malloryn said...

I totally agree, it's not fair. You're allowed to have your time in the spotlight.